Canada’s Most Popular Alternative Vehicle Fuel
Recognized for its low environmental impact by Canada’s Alternative Fuels Act, auto propane is a cost-effective, globally-trusted and low-emission automotive energy option. It has many economic and environmental advantages over traditional and alternative vehicle fuels, and should be part of any government policy to reduce costs and emissions.
Across Canada, auto propane is being used and considered by fleet managers in business and government, as well as by anyone who wants to lower vehicle costs and reduce emissions. It is ideally suited for school and transit buses, courier vans, police cars, taxis, limos and any other high-mileage vehicles, from light- to heavy-duty.
Its many benefits make it easy to understand why more and more Canadians are driving auto propane vehicles.
Reduced Cost to Operate and Maintain
Auto propane costs less than gasoline and diesel
- The average Canadian price of auto propane is about 40% less than gasoline and diesel – and over 50% cheaper in some markets.
Auto propane vehicles and fuelling infrastructure are more cost-effective than natural gas
- Vehicle conversion costs are typically about half, and refuelling station installation costs are up to 95% less.
Maintenance costs are lower than for gasoline and diesel
- Auto propane burns cleaner and experiences significantly less carbon build-up, increasing engine life.
- Fewer filter changes required and no diesel exhaust fluid (DEF).
- Lower electricity costs – auto propane vehicles can start in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius, removing the need for block heaters that diesel vehicles require in cold weather.
Vehicle conversion costs are quickly absorbed
- Due to the low cost of auto propane and more simple maintenance requirements, fleet operators on average can expect a one-year payback on conversion costs.
Cleaner & Healthier
Auto propane has a lower carbon footprint than gasoline
- Up to 26% less lifecycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions:
- Up to 18% less carbon dioxide at the point of combustion.
- 20% less nitrogen oxide at the point of combustion.
Auto propane emits fewer Criteria Air Contaminants
- 98% less particulate matter than diesel-fueled vehicles.
- 60% less carbon monoxide compared to gasoline.
Auto propane emits significantly less harmful toxic substances than gasoline
- Up to 96% less benzene, acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, and 1,3-butadiene
Auto propane will not contaminate the surrounding environment
- Auto propane is non-toxic, lead-free and has virtually no sulphur content – a contributor to acid rain.
- If released, auto propane will dissipate into the air and have no lasting impact on water, soil or the atmosphere (it is not a GHG).
Reliable & High Performance
Auto propane vehicles enjoy comparable performance to gasoline and diesel vehicles
- Excellent cold start properties – auto propane vehicles can start in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius.
- High octane rating – 104+.
- Similar vehicle power, range and acceleration to gasoline vehicles.
Many auto propane vehicles offer dual-fuel technology (with gas or diesel), for added convenience
Modern & Safe
Modern auto propane technology fits seamlessly into today’s vehicles and has a number of safety features
- Technology that precisely regulates fuel delivery through advanced computer control units and direct injection and allows fuel to flow only when the engine is operating.
- Auto propane has the lowest flammability range of all alternative motor fuels.
- Auto propane engines are 50% quieter than diesel, making school bus rides safer.
- Auto propane tanks are 20x more puncture-resistant than gasoline tanks.
Readily Available & Trusted
Auto propane is easily accessible and transportable across the country; it is a trusted automotive fuel around the world
- Auto propane has the largest refuelling infrastructure of any alternative fuel in Canada.
- Over 26 million auto propane vehicles worldwide.
- Around 60,000 vehicles on the road in Canada.
- A mainstream automotive fuel in many countries, such as South Korea, Australia, Italy, Poland and Turkey.
Users in Canada
Who has chosen auto propane for their operations in Canada?
- Canada Post
- London Police
- New Westminster Police
- Airways Transit
- Niagara Airbus
- City of Prince George
- Air Canada Ground Services
- Many school bus operators, including those in Calgary, Medicine Hat, Regina, Hamilton & Parry Sound
- Many taxi and limousine operators
Interested in finding out more?
Check out our printable fact sheets: