Canada’s Most Popular Alternative Vehicle Fuel
Recognized for its low environmental impact by Canada’s Alternative Fuels Act, auto propane is a cost-effective, globally-trusted and low-emission automotive energy option. It has many economic and environmental advantages over traditional and alternative vehicle fuels, and should be part of any government policy to reduce costs and emissions.
It’s many benefits make it easy to understand why more and more Canadians are driving auto propane vehicles. And knowing where to fill up with auto propane has just gotten easier! Go to the Alternative Fuelling Station Locator for a complete list of propane fuel locations.
Gear up for Auto Propane Day!
The World LPG Association (WLPGA) is creating another annual global awareness campaign to raise the profile of propane, similar to the very successful #LPGDay held in June. The focus of this campaign is to promote auto propane/autogas and the main event will be held on Friday, September 27, 2019.
Don’t forget to retweet and repost the CPA and everyone else on this day!
Let’s work together to promote auto propane and raise awareness about one of the cleanest, safest alternative fuels available!
Deeds Not Words!
Check out why London Police Ontario converted their V8 Dodge Chargers to auto propane! With over 100 patrol vehicles comprising their fleet, they save about ½ million in fuel costs annually, it's better for the environment and the next generation, and it's reliable: Propane 'gets them there when they need to be there'.
Propane is a low carbon, clean-burning energy source that emits virtually no air pollutants, and is safely transported and used across Canada every day.
Compared to other fuels, propane’s utilization helps to improve air quality, reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and protect the environment.
Reduced Cost to Operate and Maintain
Auto propane costs less than gasoline and diesel
- The average Canadian price of auto propane is about 40% less than gasoline and diesel – and over 50% cheaper in some markets.
Auto propane vehicles and fuelling infrastructure are more cost-effective than natural gas
- Vehicle conversion costs are typically about half, and refuelling station installation costs are up to 95% less.
Maintenance costs are lower than for gasoline and diesel
- Auto propane burns cleaner and experiences significantly less carbon build-up, increasing engine life.
- Fewer filter changes required and no diesel exhaust fluid (DEF).
- Lower electricity costs – auto propane vehicles can start in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius, removing the need for block heaters that diesel vehicles require in cold weather.
Vehicle conversion costs are quickly absorbed
- Due to the low cost of auto propane and more simple maintenance requirements, fleet operators on average can expect a one-year payback on conversion costs.
Cleaner & Healthier
Auto propane has a lower carbon footprint than gasoline
- Up to 26% less lifecycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions:
- Up to 18% less carbon dioxide at the point of combustion.
- 20% less nitrogen oxide at the point of combustion.
Auto propane emits fewer Criteria Air Contaminants
- 98% less particulate matter than diesel-fueled vehicles.
- 60% less carbon monoxide compared to gasoline.
Auto propane emits significantly less harmful toxic substances than gasoline
- Up to 96% less benzene, acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, and 1,3-butadiene
Auto propane will not contaminate the surrounding environment
- Auto propane is non-toxic, lead-free and has virtually no sulphur content – a contributor to acid rain.
- If released, auto propane will dissipate into the air and have no lasting impact on water, soil or the atmosphere.
Modern & Safe
Modern auto propane technology fits seamlessly into today’s vehicles and has a number of safety features
- Technology that precisely regulates fuel delivery through advanced computer control units and direct injection and allows fuel to flow only when the engine is operating.
- Auto propane has the lowest flammability range of all alternative motor fuels.
- Auto propane engines are 50% quieter than diesel, making school bus rides safer.
- Auto propane tanks are 20x more puncture-resistant than gasoline tanks.
Reliable & High Performance
Auto propane vehicles enjoy comparable performance to gasoline and diesel vehicles
- Excellent cold start properties – auto propane vehicles can start in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius.
- High octane rating – 104+.
- Similar vehicle power, range and acceleration to gasoline vehicles.
Many auto propane vehicles offer dual-fuel technology (with gas or diesel), for added convenience
Readily Available & Trusted
Auto propane is easily accessible and transportable across the country; it is a trusted automotive fuel around the world
- Auto propane has the largest refuelling infrastructure of any alternative fuel in Canada.
- Over 26 million auto propane vehicles worldwide.
- Around 96,000 vehicles on the road in Canada.
- A mainstream automotive fuel in many countries, such as South Korea, Australia, Italy, Poland and Turkey.
CANADIAN AUTO PROPANE USERS
Users in Canada
Who has chosen auto propane for their operations in Canada?
- Canada Post
- London Police – check out their auto propane story in “Deeds Not Words”
- New Westminster Police
- Airways Transit
- Niagara Airbus
- City of Prince George
- Air Canada Ground Services
- Many school bus operators, including those in Calgary, Medicine Hat, Regina, Hamilton, Parry Sound & Province of New Brunswick
- Many taxi and limousine operators